Broadcast Beauty is all about learning and sharing from others who deal with the same beauty concerns be it skincare, haircare, makeup or anything else. Since this platform is about championing the community, it tries very hard to look for solutions to beauty problems that you share from within the community – from people like you and me.
So sometime back I, Karishma reached out to Broadcast Beauty because I wanted to share my experience and journey with a very common hair care problem, but for which necessary information and help is not available in India. I am talking about ‘curly hair’. So many Indian women have curly hair but we have always seen guides for every other hair type but curly hair.
So I fellow curly-haired broadcaster, Karishma am here to share what helped me to make my curls manageable. There’s honestly a lot that people with naturally curly hair have to go through to maintain ringlets so they look bouncy and lively. I am the only person in my family who is blessed with curls (emphasis on ‘blessed’) hence my curly hair journey started with surfing the internet (a lot of it), trying to learn how to manage curls on my own in an affordable way. What got me to build my routine are fellow curly-haired people. I kept learning the basics and everyday techniques through Youtubers around the globe as a few years ago the Indian market didn’t have any curly hair products or bloggers.
Curly hair is naturally very appealing to the eyes but what exactly provoked me to take care of them was the torture I experienced while detangling my 3b type of curls, the pain and the extreme hair fall.
Things that are absolutely normal if you have naturally curly hair
So before I dive into the actual curly hair routine, let me share some things that are different for curly hair as compared to other hair types.
- Not combing when your hair is dry: Avoid this as much as possible, as combing dry curly hair will cause a lot of frizz and you will look like you just got electrocuted.
- Experiencing hair fall during washing hair: As normal hair fall per day is around 100 for anyone, curly hair break but doesn’t fall off on ground till you comb/touch them up.
- Tangles: Every hair type experiences some amount of knots and tangles, curly hair has more of these tangles. Especially around the back/ nape of your neck.
Basic curly hair terms to know
Before we dig deep into my curly hair routine let’s get to know some basic curly hair terminology as I’ll use this often.
- Pre-poo – It means applying an oil, conditioner or hair mask prior to shampooing to help the hair maintain necessary moisture during the shampoo process. For Pre-poo if you have nothing just make a blend of some oils like coconut, olive, argan or castor oil or just use any good hair oil according to availability massaging it for few mins and keeping it for around 30 mins to an hour prior to washing your hair. This will really keep your curls moisturized and soft.
- Plopping – It means wrapping wet hair in a t-shirt or microfibre towel in order to quickly and gently absorb excessive water.
- Scrunching – Scrunch/Scrunch out the crunch(SOTC) is to gently squeeze the hair upward from ends toward roots to encourage curl definition and remove excess gel.
- Fluffing – It means to use fingers to add volume and shape to curly hairs by fluffing out the hairs while upside down.
- Diffuser -It is a blow-dryer attachment used to disperse airflow over a larger area so as not to disturb the natural curl pattern providing more curl definition.
- Raking – It is running your fingers through your hair while applying products during styling. Your dingers and hands look more like a claw.
- Praying hands – It is taking the product in your palm rubbing it and then applying gently keeping hair in between both palms like ‘namaste’.
Curly Hair Routine Must-Haves
If you have curly hair you absolutely need to invest in the below products. No matter what fancy technique or product you use, if you don’t have the basics of curly hair down, you won’t be able to maintain your naturally curly hair in the long run.
- Always use shampoos free of silicones, sulphates and parabens as all three have a tendency of drying hair and curly hair naturally are on the drier side.
- Always use a wide-tooth comb.
- Invest in a good detangling brush.
- Use a microfibre towel or T-shirt. Don’t use those normal towels on hairs they make them really frizzy.
- Use oils as pre-poo, conditioner after shampoo, and leave-in conditioner or curl cream and gel for styling your hairs.
- Stick to washing hair no more than twice a week.
- Wash hair upside down as it prevents further tangling of hair and makes it easier for detangling after wash.
- Avoid using excessive heat on your curls, always use cool drying setting if using a diffuser or any sort of hair tool.
My curly hair routine and products I recommend
Pre-poo & Shampoo
I use the Hask Beauty cactus water shampoo and conditioner, this is not easily available in India, though their argan oil range is available on Amazon India. This is the combo with which I started my curly hair journey.
Another shampoo and conditioner I swear by is from the brand Fix My Curls that’s easily available in India. They have a cleansing shampoo and a moisturizing shampoo to be used one after another followed by their conditioner. Cleansing shampoos are to be used once a week. Avoid Fix My Curls cleansing shampoo if you have a sensitive scalp.
Post Shampoo Care & Styling
I use the leave-in conditioner and curl defining gel by Ashba Botanics. I absolutely adore these and without them my wash day is incomplete. The defining gel maintains the curl texture beautifully for days. For gel, if you have nothing just use aloe vera gel for styling that is free of colours and fragrances.
Lastly, I use the Tangle Teezer Thick and Curly detangling hairbrush. Yes, it’s a bit pricey but it’s worth every penny and it has made detangling my hair pretty easy and less time-consuming. It can be used as both detangling and styling brush.
Hacks for curly hair
Here are a few things that I incorporated in my curly hair routine that have helped me in my maintaining my naturally curly hair:
- Start detangling your hair from the lower section working your way upwards to the crown. I usually detangle in the shower using a conditioner or leave-in conditioner.
- Wash your hair and do style them keeping the hair upside down.
- Style your curly hair when it’s soaking wet.
- Don’t rub the product on your hair vigorously it makes them prone to breakage and frizz.
- Apply leave-in conditioner and gel in praying hands motion and raking your fingers gently through your hair in sections.
- Use styling brush or a wide-tooth comb from the crown or scalp to the ends of hair stands slowly allowing the hair to clump
- Spray water while applying products. It will make curl look super hydrated through the week with great definition.
- Scrunch out the crunch for a few mins after styling making sure you hear that squish sound then leave the hair to air dry or diffuse.
- Preserve your curls for few days by using a satin pillowcase or a bonnet overnight. If you find these expensive you can use a satin scarf at night to protect your curls by either using it on your head or by putting it over your pillowcase when sleeping.
- After waking up fluff your curls upside down for a minute and there you get your bouncy curls back.
- Refresh your curls by adding some conditioner or leave-in conditioner in a spray bottle with water, mix it up and spray over your hairs and scrunch a little, your hair may look more defined than your wash day.
I hope this helps you in managing your curls and that my curly hair routine and recommendations come in handy for you.
What has worked for you or didn’t work for you when it comes to managing curly? Be it products, hacks, habits or ingredients, Do Share with the global beauty community in the comments below!
Read more like this on Broadcast Beauty:
- Dry and Wavy Hair Care Routine
- Pigmentation Regimen – Skincare Routine For Pigmentation by Srishti
- Dry Lips: Deeya from India shares her 60 second DIY hack for dry and chapped lips.
Tags: Asba Botanics, Beauty Product Reviews, Beauty Product Reviews in India, CG Friendly Curly Hair Products In India, Curly Girl Method, Curly Hair Products, Curly Hair Products Online Wavy Hair Routine, Curly Hair Routine, Fix My Curls, Hair Gel For Curly Hair