When it comes to beauty there are some things that average consumers like you and us can help each other with, but again consumers are just that consumers, they share their experiences with you. We are not experts and when it comes to skincare there are a lot of things that we as consumers may not know and are best left to dermatologists who are the real skincare experts. Instagram’s favourite skin care expert and dermatologist Dr Arshia S founder of Skindotcom to answer all your burning skincare questions.
Please note – These questions were sourced from the community as part of our Q/A series.
Q1. Can I use 5% glycolic acid for colour of the skin?
Glycolic acid is safe for colour of the skin. If the recent online trends are making you question glycolic acid, know that glycolic has been used for years in the clinic and in over the counter products safely depending on the skin type. So, yes it is safe for colour of the skin but whether or not you can use it depends on your skin type and the formulation of the product you are considering.
Q2. How to get rid of strawberry legs?
There are many ways to approach the problem of strawberry legs. While a definitive way to remove it can be only decided post consultation with a dermatologist, there are a few tips that can help prevent strawberry legs and improve their appearance:
- Make sure your skin is well moisturized before you shave
- When you shave, shave in the direction of your hair growth
- Don’t do double passes or press your razor too hard when shaving
- Exfoliate your skin thrice a week at night. Dr Arshia recommends Biologique Recherche Lotion P50 Corps exfoliating lotion for the body. If you are on a budget you can opt for over the counter treatments such as Moisturex that moisturizes the skin while gently exfoliating it.
- Laser hair reduction and clinical body peels help too.
Q3. How can you reduce the oil production or sebum on your face? Does it change as we age?
Sebum is liquid gold but with age its production reduces! However excess of it becomes an issue and its production needs to be regulated not reduced. Once can incorporate salicylic acid-based face washes and niacinamide based serums and moisturizers to regulate sebum production. However, make sure you are not going overboard with salicylic acid as it dries out the skin and you don’t want to have excessively dry skin. Lastly, getting your hormones checked.
Q4. What is the right amount of SPF for Indian skin and climate?
SPF 50 is prefect but SPF 30 will do too. But absolutely not lower than that. Also, check for your sunscreen to have the term ‘Broad Spectrum’ or ‘PA +++’
Q5. What kind of under-eye cream to use to protect them?
If you have no major concerns like dark circles and puffy eyes, you can use your face moisturizer at night and sunscreen during the day for basic protection. Always remember to use a very light hand and a thin layer of moisturizer under the eyes. Dr Arshia recommends Kiehls, Sesderma and Isclinical for good under eye cream options.
Q5. How to get rid of clogged and enlarged pores?
Here a few tips to incorporate into your basic skincare routine:
- Opt for salicylic acid-based face washes thrice a week
- Exfoliate your skin with AHA or BHA serums weekly, starting once a week and then slowly increasing the frequency
- Focus on keeping your skin well hydrated and moisturized because our pores also appear larger when we don’t moisturize well
- Depending on your age you can opt for some in clinical treatments for drastic improvement (Microneedling, MNrf and Mesobotox)
Q6. What Ingredients work well on stubborn Post-Inflammatory Erythema?
For Post-Inflammatory Erythema or PIE try azelaic acid along with barrier repairing creams that are rich in ceramides and niacinamide. Also, Centella Asiatica or cica is also great. There are several crams in India available with cica. Another factor that is key to the reduction of post-inflammatory erythema is anti-oxidants and ceramides. Vitamin C helps to maintain lipids, particularly ceramides in your skin, indirectly helps with hydration.
Read more like this on Broadcast Beauty:
- Maskne Guide: What Is It and How To Prevent Acne Caused by Masks
- Skincare Acids Guide: How to Find The Best Skincare Acid for Your Skin Type
- Retinol For Beginners
Tags: 5% glycolic acid, Basic Skin Care, Basic Skin Care Routine, Beauty Routine Articles from Experts, How to get rid of clogged and enlarged pores?, How to get rid of strawberry legs?, What Ingredients work well on stubborn Post-Inflammatory Erythema?, What is the right amount of SPF for Indian skin and climate?, What kind of under-eye cream to use to protect them?